Mommy's potato salad is the stuff of legends! I've eaten a lot of potato salad over the years but none as good as my moms! It's simply the best! It's the kind of potato salad that will make you want to eat it with barbeque, baked ham, turkey and stuffing, greens and cornbread with all the trimmings! Definitely goes with chitins and did I say fried chicken? Definitely goes great with fried chicken! It's also the kind of potato salad that people get a bowl of and sit down and eat all by itself! It's that good!
- 3-5 lb potatoes (Idaho or russet), peeled and cut into medium dice
- 6 boiled eggs, diced (reserve 1 eggs whole)
- 1/4 c Kraft sandwich spread
- 1 c Miracle Whip
- 1/2 small jar sweet pickle relish (4 oz)
- 20 - 25 Spanish/pimento-stuffed olives, diced
- 3 ribs of celery, diced
- 1/2 c granulated sugar
- 1/8 c yellow mustard
- 1 Tbsp onion powder
- 2 Tbsp apple cider vinegar
- salt and pepper to taste
- Boil potatoes till tender (15 - 20 minutes) - test a couple of pieces to determine doneness.
- Drain and let cool.
- Combine all of the above ingredients in a large bowl and mix well.
- Add more sandwich spread and miracle whip if needed.
- Chill potato salad then taste for seasoning. It will taste different after it's chilled and the flavors have married.
- Slice the reserved boiled egg in a single layer over the top and sprinkle with paprika.
Remember when adding extra mayo/sandwich spread, less is more. You can always add more after the salad has chilled, just before serving if needed.