I make grits and cheesy grits all the time but spinach and cheese grits are something special! I was making cheesy grits one day and found some fresh spinach in the fridge and decided to see what the combination would taste like. I use spinach and cheese in omelets so why not grits? I sometimes make cheesy spinach as a side so I decided to give it a try – after all a classic combination is a classic combination, right? I can only say that I’m so glad that I decided to experiment! This dish is good – I mean really, really good! Check out the recipe and photo – you can almost taste them! Luscious!
Spinach & Cheese Grits
This recipe for creamy, delicious spinach and cheese grits is the perfect side dish for breakfast, lunch or dinner! It’s equally at home with eggs, bacon and toast as it is with fried chicken and biscuits. Simply soul food!
- 1 qt chicken broth
- 2 c grits
- 1-2 c pureed fresh spinach (4 cups spinach leaves and 1 cup chicken broth or water in food processor… puree until smooth & liquified)
- 2 tsp salt
- 1/2 tsp onion powder
- 1 tsp pepper
- 4 Tbsp butter
- 1/4 c shredded sharp cheddar cheese
- 1/4 c shredded parmesan cheese
- 1/4 c shredded asiago cheese
- 2 c cubed velvetta cheese (1 c original & 1 c sharp)
- Pour chicken broth into a 2 qt pot and put over medium flame.
- Immediately stir grits into cold broth.
- Add butter and seasonings to pot, stirring constantly until broth starts to boil.
- Turn flame down to low/simmer add pureed spinach and allow grits to cook until thickened.
- Add cheese and stir until fully mixed into grits and creamy.
- Serve with a sprinkled topping of mixed cheeses.
Just tried this tonight: delicious!!!
Hi Holly! So glad you liked the spinach and cheese grits! I agree with you, they are absolutely delicious! The flavors all compliment each other and they give the grits a special, unexpected “trip to flavor town” (Thanks GF)!