Potato Pie Memories
Sweet potato pie is the pie that holiday memories are made of! In my family on both sides, we didn’t eat pumpkin pie for Thanksgiving or Christmas, it was sweet potato pie all the way!
I was in Junior High before I actually ate a piece of pumpkin pie! Yep, school cafeteria and totally not impressed! Not a fan at all and I couldn’t understand why there was pumpkin pie everywhere but no sweet potato pie! Well, it didn’t take me long to find out that sweet potato pie was something my family and friends made. It was our pie! All I can say is “yea” for heritage, customs and traditions, both with food and in life!
DIY – Easy as Pie!
Today sweet potato pie has gone main stream. You can even buy sweet potato pie filling and sweet potato pies already made from some grocery stories and online stores like Amazon! I’m old school and I go the “DIY” route, but if you’re so inclined to buy your pie, be my guest and bon appetit! But if you want to make your pie I’m here for you! If you have a question or concern, just send me an email, I’ll hold your hand and walk you through it! It’s easy as pie!
- 3-5 medium sized sweet potatoes, cooked (3 cups pureed)
- 1/2 c. granulated sugar
- 1/4 c. brown sugar
- 1 can sweetened condensed milk
- 4 large eggs
- 1/2 stick melted butter
- 2 tbsp flour
- 1/2 tsp salt
- 2 tsp cinnamon
- 1 tsp nutmeg
- 1 tsp allspice
- 1/2 tsp ginger
- 1 tsp pure vanilla extract
- 2 tsp lemon juice
- Bake or boil sweet potatoes in skins, until tender.
- Cool and remove potatoes from skins and put into food processor bowl. You will need to process two separate batches.
- Whip potatoes adding up to 1/2 c water if needed.
- Add melted butter, sugar and seasonings. Mix to incorporate.
- Beat eggs and mix together with milk.
- Add to sweet potato filling and flour and stir to combine.
- Add filling to food processor in batches and process each batch till smooth. Pour into 1 large deep dish pie shell or 2 regular pie shells. If time is not on your side and you need a short cut, use store bought pie shells. If you have the time, make your own pie crust. The recipe that follows is quick and easy!
- – 3c. AP flour – sifted
- – 1tsp salt
- – 2 sticks of cold butter or 1/2 c butter and 1/2 c lard or shortening
- – 2 tbsp granulated sugar
- – 1/2 c. ice water
- Mix dry ingredients together in a bowl. Add fat with a pastry cutter or two butter knives. Slowly add cold water just to form a ball. Mix just to combine and dough holds together. Sprinkle with a little flour if sticky to make dough easier to handle. Divide dough into two balls and refrigerate to chill and rest dough. Roll dough out to no more than 1/4″ thick. Place into 9″ pie pan/s and flute edges. Chill dough one last time. Pour sweet potato pie filling into chilled pie shell (deep dish or regular pie pan). Bake at 350 for 45 minutes, until center is set and toothpick comes out clean.
If you have never tried a sweet potato pie before, place this on you baking list before the holiday season is over- you will be glad you did!